By Bruce C. Donaldson
The sequence builds an in depth selection of top of the range descriptions of languages worldwide. every one quantity deals a entire grammatical description of a unmarried language including totally analyzed pattern texts and, if applicable, a thesaurus and different correct details that's on hand at the language in query. There are not any regulations as to language kin or region, and even though detailed awareness is paid to hitherto undescribed languages, new and beneficial remedies of higher identified languages also are incorporated. No theoretical version is imposed at the authors; the single criterion is a excessive commonplace of medical caliber.
Read or Download A Grammar of Afrikaans PDF
Best foreign language dictionaries & thesauruses books
No matter if you don't like crossword puzzles, you'll prove loving those. Designed for mother-tongue or thoroughly fluent audio system of Spanish eager to enhance their English abilities, the puzzles can also be unique to English audio system. they're formatted in order that every one puzzle may be solved in 15 to half-hour.
For a few years, J. Richard Andrews’s creation to Classical Nahuatl has been the normal reference paintings for students and scholars of Nahuatl, the language utilized by the traditional Aztecs and the Nahua Indians of crucial Mexico. Andrews’s paintings used to be the 1st booklet to make Nahuatl obtainable as a coherent language process and to acknowledge such an important linguistic beneficial properties as vowel size and the glottal cease.
Scholars of Akkadian will locate this useful choice of simple info to be the fitting spouse via their years of research. although this guide isn't really a substitute for a standard reference works, it summarizes the entire uncomplicated source fabrics wanted for the learn of Akkadian. integrated are the next: miscellaneous is helping, paradigms of nouns and verbs, a word list of vital right nouns, an index of logograms, an indication record with entire signal values, and lots more and plenty extra.
- Remembering the Kanji I: A Complete Course on How Not to Forget the Meaning and Writing of Japanese Characters
- Japanese for Busy People III: Kana Text (Vol 3)
- A Frequency Dictionary of Turkish
- Nuzi Texts and Their Uses as Historical Evidence
- Language Change and Language Structure: Older Germanic Languages in a Comparative Perspective
Additional info for A Grammar of Afrikaans
Akademici and Macedonia are two of only very few examples of c being used instead of s. g. Cilliers [ssl'jea], Coetzee [kut'sea]. 2. The consonant ch [x] Examples: chaos [xa:os], chemikaliee [xemi'kailia] 'chemicals', christen [xristan] 'Christian'. The fricative [x] is spelt g in indigenous words and ch only in certain loanwords. 3. The consonant ch [J] Examples: chauvinisties [Jceuva'ni'stis], China [Jinaf4 (also spelt Sjina), chirurg [fi'rcerx] 'surgeon'. e. [wa]. 11). 20 Pronunciation their language of origin which retain that spelling and pronunciation in Afrikaans.
Du Plessis [dypb'si] Du Preez [da'prea] 36 Nevertheless the pronunciation [da'v'iljors] is very common, not only in the mouths of English-speaking South Africans. Note, however, that only one pronunciation of CeUiers and Viviers is possible. Pronunciation 23 Du Toit [da'toii] Foucha [fu'lea] Fourie [fu'ri] Grove [xru'vea] Joubert [ju'bas:r] Labuschagne [labus'kaxna]36 Le Grange [b'xransil Le Roux [b'ru:] Malan [ma'lan];[ma'lar)]is also often heard. g. e. as [jansmats]. Consequently some Afrikaans speakers named Smuts have adopted this pronunciation of their name, [smoets] versus [smats] seems to reflect the pre-war division of South African political loyalties between the Natte (Nationalist Party, supported by Afrikaans speakers) and the Sappe (South Africa Party, which enjoyed both English and Afrikaans support).
1. Alternative forms (wisselvorme) Because of the degree of arbitrariness inherent in the first principle, the AWS (p. g. aartappel I ertappel 'potato', liewer /liewers 'rather', more I more 'morning', oral I orals 'everywhere'. g. oral[s] not oralstefr] 'everywhere' and probeer not perbeer 'to try', although oralstefr] and perbeer are still often heard, if never written, and thus they are not in the AWS. g. resies/reisies 'races', boggerI bokker Tbugger'', nonsens I nonsies 'nonsense'. 2. g. 2 2 For historical reasons one will find that the vast majority of indigenous Germanic words in Dutch/Afrikaans are spelt with a v, whereas loanwords are spelt with an f.